Roof edge protection is an essential aspect of every building project, ensuring the safety of those working at height. Proper inspection, maintenance, and recertification are critical elements of maintaining these safety systems.
With the right Recertification Service in place, you ensure your edge protection remains up-to-date and meets the highest safety standards. This not only protects workers but also mitigates the risk of costly accidents and legal implications.
In this article, we’ll delve into five reasons why ongoing maintenance and recertification of your roof edge protection is a non-negotiable aspect of site safety.
Roof Edge Protection Inspection Regulations
According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), falls from height continue to be a leading cause of fatal injuries in the workplace, accounting for 29% of worker fatalities in 2018/19.
This alarming statistic underlines the significance of regular inspection, maintenance, and recertification of roof edge protection equipment as per regulations stipulated by HSE.
The Work at Height Regulations 2005 clearly states that:
‘every employer shall ensure that work at height is properly planned, appropriately supervised and carried out in a manner which is so far as is reasonably practicable, safe’.
This includes an insistence on regular checks and recertification of safety equipment. Therefore, thorough inspection and maintenance of roof edge protection are not only best practices but also legal requirements, aiming to reduce the risk of accidents and fatalities.
Key Regulations for Regular Inspection, Maintenance and Recertification
- The Work at Height Regulations 2005: Mandates that all work at height is properly planned, appropriately supervised and carried out in a safe manner. This includes periodic inspection and recertification of safety equipment such as roof edge protection.
- Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER): Requires that equipment provided for use at work is suitable for the intended use, safe for use, and maintained in a safe condition.
- Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998 (LOLER): Obligates the inspection of lifting equipment for work at height, which may include some types of roof edge protection.
- The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 (CDM): Stresses the need for suitable and sufficient measures to prevent any person falling a distance liable to cause personal injury – which includes ensuring the integrity of roof edge protection via regular inspections, maintenance and recertification.
APS Roof Edge Protection Equipment Services
At APS Safety Services, we offer a comprehensive Recertification Service for roof edge protection, ensuring your equipment is up to the highest standard of safety regulations. Our team of highly skilled engineers conducts meticulous inspections to assess the condition of your roof edge protection systems.
We evaluate every component for signs of wear, damage, or potential failure, providing detailed reports on their current condition and any recommended repairs or replacements.
We understand the crucial role of roof edge protection in maintaining safety during work at height tasks. Hence, our Recertification Service also includes a thorough check of the system’s compliance with the pertinent regulations, including The Work at Height Regulations 2005, PUWER, LOLER, and CDM.
APS’s dedication to excellence extends beyond the inspection process. We also provide routine maintenance services to ensure the longevity and reliability of your roof edge protection. With APS, you can have peace of mind knowing that your safety systems are in the hands of professionals who prioritise your safety and compliance with regulations.
5 Reasons You Need Roof Edge Protection Inspection, Maintenance & Recertification
- Compliance with Regulations: As discussed, regular inspection, maintenance and recertification of roof edge protection are a legal requirement under various regulations. By adhering to these regulations, you not only ensure the safety of your employees but also avoid potential fines and penalties.
- Reduce Risk and Prevent Accidents: Routine inspections can catch any issues or signs of wear and tear in your roof edge protection before they escalate into a significant safety hazard. This proactive approach allows you to take the necessary precautions and prevent accidents or falls from height.
- Increase Lifespan and Save Costs: Regular maintenance of your roof edge protection can help extend its lifespan, saving you the costs of expensive replacements. It also ensures that the system is always in excellent working condition and ready for use whenever needed.
- Peace of Mind: With regular inspections, maintenance and recertification, you can rest easy knowing that your roof edge protection is compliant with regulations and safe to use. This peace of mind allows you to focus on other aspects of your work without worrying about potential safety concerns.
- Protect Your Workers: Your employees are your most valuable asset and their safety should be a top priority. By investing in regular roof edge protection inspection, maintenance and recertification, you can provide them with a safe working environment and protect them from the hazards of falls from height.
The Best Roof Edge Protection
Inspection, Maintenance & Recertification For Roof Edge Protection is not only essential for ensuring compliance with regulations but also for protecting the safety and well-being of your employees.
At APS, we offer a comprehensive service to help you meet these responsibilities and maintain a safe working environment for all.
Contact us today to learn more about our roof edge protection services and how we can assist you in meeting your safety obligations.
Safe working at height starts with proper inspection, maintenance and recertification of your roof edge protection systems. Trust APS to provide you with the highest quality services and keep your workplace safe for all. Don’t compromise on safety – choose APS for all your roof edge protection needs.